Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Plugging Along!

So Sunday I went grocery shopping - early in the morning when no one is there - cause, quite frankly, I can't stand shopping when there are 200 people trying to get to the milk all at the same time. It just makes me .... grouchy!

Anyway, I digress. I have been reading a book called "It Starts With Food." You can check it out here. It's about eating "clean" and eating whole foods for 30 days - no dairy, no bread, no sugar, no processed foods, etc. You can also read about Whole30 on this web site. The book is pretty "scienc-y" in the beginning talking about how the foods we eat affect our bodies and our brain. It's very interesting, and got me thinking! I was all gung-ho to get started on Whole30 and give up all the crap I eat on a daily basis. Then I started talking to a friend and she mentioned how she wouldn't want to restrict herself that much because she knows that she will fail - and reminded me "all things in moderation!" Which got me to thinking a little more. I have recently been interested in eating Paleo - which is a bit of the same as Whole30, but with a few more things added. Here is a web site about Paleo, if you're so inclined. Anyway, I love the idea of cooking everything from the "raw" and "natural" state - so that you know exactly what is going into your food. Giving up all of that pre-packaged stuff, sugar, bread, etc. I'm not quite on the vegetarian/vegan train - I do like to eat meat - but I am definitely on the healthy, natural train for now.

So after some reading, thinking, talking to others, etc. I came up with what I like to refer to as Paleo-ish diet. That name is patent pending, so don't you dare think about using it! =) Anyway, I wanted to give up the processed crap, the sugar, and cut out the carbs I'm eating from bread, wheat, etc. I didn't necessarily want to give up dairy. Let's face it. Cheese is delicious. As is milk. And for some reason, I have been craving cottage cheese - which I have never liked nor craved in my entire life. Weird. Anyway, so my Paleo-ish diet consists of fresh vegetables, fruit, meats, and dairy. No sugar unless it is natural (Agave nectar and the like), no bread (or at least VERY minimal. I did have some crackers last night). And I'm trying my best to incorporate healthy snacks so that I'm not reaching for chocolate and a bag of chips when I'm bored, hungry, angry, frustrated .... all of the above.

So in that mind, I was looking on Pinterest (addicted. Guilty) for some new recipe ideas. I found a few things, but what I wanted to try this week was some salads that I found. I like to call them Salad Shakers. You can find the blog and recipe here. Of course, I'm not super-cool and don't have mason jars. Don't get me wrong, in an attempt to have my salads look super cool like these, I looked at them. But too expensive. I remembered I had some Ziploc containers that I use to put homemade ice cream in (drooling), so I decided to give them a try. Perfecto! I made up 3 of them for this week and these consist of light poppy seed dressing, frozen carrots and peas (they defrost on their own), green pepper, onion, blueberries, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and Mediterranean blend lettuce (not my favorite, but it's good for you and it was on sale). They turned out pretty good, I might say. I'd love to include a pic here, but I'm having technical difficulties. Who works in IT? *cough* I don't know what you're talking about. *cough* Stay tuned, I will post a pic later.

So for this week, I have my ever trusty Shakeology shakes. Man I love these things. I have salads, cottage cheese (chuckle), and fruit for lunches, almonds and popcorn (grain. I know) for snacks, and I made a roast with potatoes and carrots for dinners this week. All packed up and ready to pop into the microwave. Gata love a crock pot and Ziploc containers. And being super prepared for the week. Kudos to ME!

And last ... and surely not least ... man I'm wordy today... I FINALLY ordered the Les Mills Combat video from Beach Body. SUPER stoked to get this one and start it! Check it out here and if you're so inclined, the Shakeology here.
Ok, ok, ok - I'm done rambling. Except to mention that I stood on the scale this morning. Ever fearful of what I might see ... however, it was much better than I had anticipated. Only 4 pounds away from where I was about 2 months ago. Not too shabby, in my book. I can deal with a measly 4 pounds. With all the water and good-for-me foods I've been eating this week, I anticipate it will be gone in a flash. Whoa ... did you see that? Where did those 4 pounds go?

So here's to getting back on track, staying on track, feeling great, and going strong! Happy Tuesday! =)

*LOVE*

No comments:

Post a Comment